13 March 2008

(pt 8)

[continued:]

[Donna sits down in front of the camera and it is readjusted to frame her properly. She smiles into the lens and looks off camera whenever someone talks to her. She smiles brightly and laughs a little.]

DONNA: So, do I --
DAVID: Just say your name.
DONNA: Hi, I'm Donna Widmore. Um, should I read the part?
DAVID: Uh, yeah, sure. Let me introduce to you everyone real quick. The guys behind the camera are Ryan and Sam. This is Jake Squibs, he's our director of cinematography. This is Rob, he'll be reading with you today and my name is David. Rob and I are co-directing.
DONNA: Hey, nice to meet you all.
DAVID: Okay, so, I guess, take it away.
ROB: All right, are you ready?
DONNA: Definitely.
ROB: Great.

[Donna clears her throat and looks over the script one last time, her face turning serious before looking at Rob.]

ROB: I don't understand why you're so upsest.
DONNA: I just need ROMANCE. I just want a guy to show me he loves me everyday. I don't need diamonds or anything. Just flowers or a note or something to tell me that I'm SPECIAL.
ROB: And he doesn't do that for you?
DONNA: It's the same with every relationship. Things start off great but then it tapers off until I don't get anything anymore. I just want to feel APPRECIATED. Do you think you can DO that? Do you think you can show me you love me EVERY DAY?
ROB: I think I can.
DONNA: Are you sure?
ROB: You just have to give this a shot, you know? But I think I can.
DONNA: I want to BELIEVE that you can. Can I BELIEVE it?
ROB: I can try real hard.
DONNA: [collapsing into a normal composure; smiling] How was that?
DAVID: Very, very nice. Thank you so much.

[A new girl sits in front of the camera and looks into the lens. She looks a lot more nervous.]

DAVID: Okay, just state your name.
FIORAIA: Um, right now?
DAVID: Yeah we're roll--
FIORAIA: Fioraia Nadia.
DAVID: Okay. Are you ready with your part.
FIORAIA: I actually prepared a song and dance.
DAVID: Oh-kay but we don't have room for that. Just read the part on the page and you'll be f--
FIORAIA: I thought there'd be a piano or something. I brought sheet music.
DAVID: This isn't a musical.
FIORAIA: It's from Les Miserables.

[Another girl sits in front of the camera, reading the sheet as she seats herself. She looks over at David.]

DAVID: Say your name please.
CONNIE: Connie Regina. So is this girl a bitch?
DAVID: What? No.
CONNIE: It just kind of seems like she's spoiled or you know --
DAVID: She's just young. Her expectations are really high, that's all.
CONNIE: Seems like her head's infected with too many movies.
DAVID: Go with that. Rob's going to be reading with you here. Whenever you guys are ready.
ROB: You ready?
CONNIE: [takes a breath]> Okay.
ROB: I don't understand why you're so upset.
CONNIE: I just need -- ROMANCE. I just want a GUY to show me he actually LOVES me. Everyday. I don't need diamonds. Just FLOWERS or a NOTE or SOMETHING. To tell me that I'm special.
>ROB: And he doesn't do that for you?
CONNIE: Oh -- it's the same with every relationship. Things start off great but then -- then it tapers off. Until I don't get -- anything -- anymore. I just want to feel -- I want to feel APPRECIATED. Do YOU think you can DO that? Do you? Do you think -- you can show me you love me -- show me EVERY DAY?
ROB: I think I can.
CONNIE: [her eyes well up a little] Are you sure?
ROB: You just have to give this a shot, you know? But I think I can.
CONNIE: I really want to BELIEVE that you can. Can I BELIEVE it?
ROB: I can --
CONNIE: SHOULD I -- believe it?
ROB: I can try real hard.
CONNIE: [looking down at the page again] And you're sure she's not supposed to be a bitch?

[A striking young woman sits in front of the camera, fixes her hair and looks directly into the lens.]

DAVID: State your name.
BETH: Beth Austin [she smirks]

[Later that evening, Squibs, Rob and David are watching the auditions at Rob's house. David pauses on Beth's face and points at the screen.]

DAVID: That's her right there.
ROB: Are you sure?
DAVID: Am I sure? You guys saw her. She has got everything. She's hot, she read well --
ROB: Some people read better.
DAVID: But they didn't look as good as she does. I mean, look at her. She makes me want to make sweet love to the television. I'm not even sure I can contain myself.

[David gets up and walks toward the television, unzipping his pants. Squibs and Rob laugh. David turns just before getting to the TV.]

DAVID: But you see what I mean. She looks great on camera.
SQUIBS: She does that.
DAVID: And she read well enough to make the script work.
ROB: Connie really read it well though --
DAVID: Oh, please. Connie's a hag.
SQUIBS: I thought she was cute.
DAVID: Fugly. Hurts my eyes even to look at her.
ROB: That's a little much. Squibs is right: she's a cute girl.
DAVID: Cute isn't good enough. We need drop dead gorgeous. We need someone so hot it almost doesn't matter what she says. And then we deliver with her actually saying something. That's what we want.

[Sara comes out of the bathroom.]

SARA: You're fly's down.
DAVID: Oh, thanks. [zips up and moves out of the way]
SARA: Oh, she's hot.
ROB: She might be the lead in the movie.
SARA: Oh, yeah, you should totally get her to do it. She looks great on camera.
DAVID: What do you say guys?
SQUIBS: She does look good.
ROB: [sighs] All right.
DAVID: Yes.
ROB: We have our leading lady.
SQUIBS: Awesome.
ROB: We just need to finish the script now.
SARA: Worry about that tomorrow. You guys should celebrate with some pizza from downstairs.
ROB: So you're hungry then?
SARA: Yeah, a little bit.
ROB: All right. Squibs, you hungry?
SQUIBS: I'll come down for a slice.
ROB: You in?
DAVID: Yeah, I'm going.

[Everyone but David stands up and collects their wallets and keys. David gets up to shut down the display equipment and, whilie everyone is filing out of the place, David contemplates doing something different. He runs is hand over the TV, letting the static shock him. He unzips his pants a little bit before thinking better of it and walking away.]

[continued]

No comments: