24 January 2008

(pt 1)

[A young woman, SARA, brushes her finger against a CD collection, her fingernail tapping onto the side of each jewel case. She's not searching for anything in particular, just browsing, until she finds something that makes her eyes open wide and a grin develop on her face. She pulls the CD from the tower and turns to her boyfriend, ROB, sitting on a couch across the room of his studio loft.]

SARA: Oh, you've got to be kidding me.
ROB: What's that?
SARA: This, this might be a deal breaker. We may have to part ways after this.
ROB: What are you talking about? There's nothing in there that's that bad.
SARA: [holding up the evidence] Don Juan Demarco soundtrack.
ROB: What?
SARA: Are you serious? What?
ROB: I will defend that CD to the death.
SARA: You're not serious.
ROB: Oh, I'm serious.
SARA: You're going to defend the soundtrack with the Bryan Adams single.
ROB: First of all, "the one with the Bryan Adams single" is about every major motion picture of the early 90s. Second, Bryan Adams is the great romantic songwriter of our generation.
SARA: You are completely insane.
ROB: Put it on.
SARA: No.
ROB: I'm telling you. Put it on. I defy you to not want to make sweet love to me while playing that song.
SARA: Well, you're certainly not getting laid with language like that.
ROB: I'm telling you.
SARA: All right --

[Sara puts the CD in the player and, as it loads, she skips to the song and presses play. The opening chords of "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?" strum through the speakers. Rob raises an eyebrow and nods, prompting Sara to laugh.]

ROB: Don't try to deny it. Let it take you away.
SARA: Oh yeah. Oh, you're totally right. This song it -- cuts like a knife.
ROB: Don't fight it, Sara. Let that sweet, sweet Canadian voice inside your heart.

[She giggles and starts to slink mockingly over to her boyfriend, almost immediately breaking into laughter. She moves over to him and mounts him, grabbing his head.]

SARA: You, sir, are ridiculous.
ROB: It's Bryan Adams, babe. What else can I do? I'm only human.

[They laugh again and kiss. He pulls her in closer and they kiss for longer to her pleasant surprise. He starts to rub his hands on her sides, across her shoulders and places one on her neck. She smiles.]

SARA: Maybe you're onto something here.
ROB: See, I told you.

[Clothes start to shed. First his shirt, then hers. Their hands start to grab and pull at each other. He slips her bra straps off her shoulders then goes for the fastener only to be confonded. She smiles again.]

SARA: I got it, I got it. [She unhooks it with the ease of experience.] See, not that hard.
ROB: I'm going to get it one day, I swear to God, I'm going to get it.
SARA: It's not that important.
ROB: [between kissing] I'm going to get it and then just surprise you with it in public, just unhook it when you're not paying attention with one hand --
SARA: And then what?
ROB: Oh, and then I'll, uh, I'll --
SARA: Don't tease me. What would you do then?
ROB: I'm not teasing. I'm just -- distracted.

[She is going to work on this belt. His hands are on her hips, pulling at her skirt though not immediately trying to pull it off. She starts on his pants just as the front door opens wide. Standing in the doorway is DAVID, Rob's best friend and, therefore, somewhat accustomed to not having to knock before entering.]

DAVID: [immediately averting his eyes, even stumbling away from the doorway but returning only to repeat it] Oh Jesus Christ.
SARA: [trying to cover herself up] David!
DAVID: Oh, Christ, don't you lock the door before -- doing that -- thing?
ROB: It was kind of spur of the moment.
DAVID: You didn't have time to check the doors first? Jeez--
SARA: You didn't have time to knock?
DAVID: Fair enough. Just, uh, I guess, meet me downstairs when you're, uh, finished, Rob. Oh God.

[David walks away and Sara jumps up to shut the door, only to have David pop back in for a second.]

DAVID: Are you guys seriously doing it to the Don Juan Demarco soundtrack?
SARA: Get out!

[He leaves and she slams the door.]

[Ten minutes later, Rob meets David downstairs outside his building.]

DAVID: That was quick.
ROB: Easy. The mood was kind of shot after her brother busted through the door.
DAVID: Sorry about that.
ROB: Yeah, there'll be other times.
DAVID: Gross.
ROB: You want to get a bite across the street?
DAVID: Yeah.

[They start to walk toward the diner across the street. David shakes off the scene previous.]

DAVID: So why I was busting in there in the first place was because, Rob -- I have it.
ROB: You have what?
DAVID: The idea.
ROB: The idea?
DAVID: This is it, man. I finally have it. It's the one, I know it.
ROB: Different than the last "the one?"
DAVID: Why do you have to say it like that? Live-action peanut-butter jelly time: that's gold.
ROB: I can't wait for this.

[continued]

No comments: